Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Kiwanas 10k Race Report...

I started the day off with a 3 mile run at a 9:46 pace with no water stops and felt really good. I knew it would be a long day but figured I would just rest after class and I would be good to go for the race. The race started at 12:15am so we meet Jen and Luke at their house and headed to Dunedin around 10pm. 
A lot of Striders were also running the race so we all got together for a group photo. Apparently Jen and I are not the only crazy people willing to run a race a midnight.
 Jen, Luke, and I before Luke took off for his 5k.
The 5k started at 10:25 so we all just hung out and watched and waited until it was time to head to the starting line. We watched as all of the crazy fast runners came in and before we knew it we were ready to go.

The race started off ok but then I made the mistake of going out way faster than I should have and by the halfway point I realized that I was in trouble. At mile two I had decided to run under a hose to cool myself off but  it turns out my Under Armour shirt once wet turned into a wet blanket which was horrible. By the time I got to the turn around I was wishing I hadn't run that morning and that I had run my own race not chased Jen but I still had to get back. The race course was lined with milk jugs with candles in them, this looked really cool but one of the candles must have gone out and I inhaled some nasty fumes and my lungs decided it was more important to clear that out than run. The rest of the race was a walk/jog and then they ran out of water and I was miserable and just wanted to be done, I knew I had a better race in me and I was mad at myself.

I finished in 1:08 something and didn't care I was just so happy to be off the course. Overall I was not happy with the race itself or my performance but it's over and I did learn a few things. And I like the above photo because you can almost see my quad muscle, I guess marathon training is working.

I'll be back with the recap of the Independance day 5k we ran just 6.5 hours after the 10k.

Post a Comment